Getting started for Windows
** Minimum System Requirements**
- A Desktop or Laptop computer with a 64 bit processor (mobile devices are currently not supported)
- For PC users; Windows 7 or newer
- A High Speed (minimum 3 Mbps up), preferrably hard-wired, Internet connection (cellular tethering/personal hotspot connections are currently NOT supported)
- User configurable or UPNP router/firewall (TCP and UDP ports 8095 and 8096 need to be forwarded)
1. Create an account
You must create an account in order to use ConnectionOpen. Head over to the registration page to sign up. Once your registration is complete, you will be automatically logged into the website.
2. Download and install ConnectionOpen
- Click the "Download Now" link in the main content area of the landing page or the "Download" link on the main navigation menu to visit our download page where you'll find installers for both Mac and Windows platforms.
- Choose the installer that matches your Operating system and click the appropriate download button.
- Once your download completes, launch the installer and follow the prompts in the wizard to complete the installation.
3. Launch ConnectionOpen
- Locate the ConnectionOpen icon on your Desktop or in your Start Menu and launch the program.
- For security and functionality reasons, ConnectionOpen requires the latest 64 bit version of Java to be installed on your system, the application will check the Java version each time it launches.
- If a Java update or installation is required, simply follow the prompts and the wizard will guide you through the Java setup process.
- Once the Java update or installation is complete, the program will re-launch and the login dialog will appear.
- NOTE: IF YOU HAVE A 32 BIT VERSION OF JAVA INSTALLED, THE PROGRAM WILL RE-LAUNCH THE JAVA UPDATE PROCESS AT THIS POINT. YOU WILL NEED TO MANUALLY UNINSTALL THE 32 BIT VERSION OF JAVA IN ORDER FOR CONNECTIONOPEN TO LAUNCH PROPERLY.
- Login to the ConnectionOpen application with the username and password you created in Step 1. above.
Note regarding Java
- We highly recommend removing all older versions of Java from your computer prior to installing the latest 64 bit version. Follow this link for answers to any questions you may have as well as instructions on how to accomplish this.
4. Network Test
The Network Test function will run automatically after you enter your Username and password and can take anywhere from a few seconds up to 3 or 4 minutes (it should only take this long on the initial setup). We run connectivity checks, analyze configuration information and attempt to auto-configure routers/gateway devices during this phase of the installation. There is currently no progress meter to show how far the process has gone and you may think the program has "hung" at this point. Please allow up to 5 minutes on the initial run and at the end of the test it will show you any exceptions that have occurred and give suggestions on how to fix them. If your configuration is good, the Network Test will let you know that it “Passed” and the application will start. During the public beta this network test will run every time you sign-in to the application and unless your network configuration has changed between runs, should only take a few seconds after the initial successful pass.
The most common reason for Network Test failure is that the application can't send and/or receive data on UDP ports 8095 and 8096 and the installer is unable to automatically configure your router/firewall to allow this traffic. If you know how to edit your firewall configuration to enable your system to receive data on the specified ports, please do so. The Manufacturer of your gateway/router will generally have instructions on how to do this available on their website.
5. Set up your audio device(s)
Once you have reached the ConnectionOpen application window, it’s time to set-up the audio device you will be using.
- Go to “Settings”.
- From the drop down menu select “Audio”.
- Click on “Setup Audio Devices”.
- Find and select the audio device and type from the menu that you would like to use for both “Audio Into ConnectionOpen” and “Audio From ConnectionOpen”.
- Audio Into ConnectionOpen needs to be ONLY on Input 1 (or any single input you choose.)
- Audio From ConnectionOpen needs to have both Output channels selected.
- Hit the “Save Settings” button which will return you to the Audio Settings window.
- You may select the Recording Sample Rate and Recording File Format you wish to use at this time.
- Click the “Save Settings” if you have changed the Recording Sample Rate or Recording File Format.
6. Start a session
Once again, to start a session with ConnectionOpen you must be “friends” with the other party on the ConnectionOpen website and they must have the application started on their end. When you launch the application for a session you’ll see your friend’s names in the Contacts list in the middle third of the application window.
- Select the person you wish to connect with
- Enter a session name and click “Create Session”
- The application will launch the session window and the other party will receive a notification window that invites them to join. You should see your meters registering audio in the session window from your device.
- Once the other party has accepted the request, if you’ve both set up correctly, you’ll see them join the session and begin hearing them.
7. Audio control and recording
Audio control is primarily handled by the participant on each end, but the “leader” of the session (the one who did the inviting) has micro adjustments available to use on each participants window. The “leader” can initiate an individual record function that locally captures the unmixed audio of each participant which can be sent later via FTP, but you can also record a live mix of all participants using your DAW!